I love nail polish. It’s probably one of the first “makeup” that a lot of us ladies were allowed to wear out of the house when we were young, right? And as an adult, I enjoy getting my nails done and the ability to change my look with just a few brush strokes. But I hate when my polish chips! So here are 13 nail hacks to save your polish!
- Before you get started painting, be sure to clean, file, and trim your nails and cuticles. And if your nails have ridges, go ahead and buff them away until they are smooth.
- Dip a cotton swab into plain white vinegar or polish remover to remove any excess oils, lotions, or dust particles.
- Apply your base coat. Note: I prefer a quick dry or strengthener base coat myself!
- Hold the nail polish bottle between your hands, upside down. Gently roll the bottle back and forth. If you shake the bottle, you tend to get air bubbles which can ruin your paint job!
- Apply two thin coats of polish, letting the first one dry before applying the second coat.
- If your color isn’t as thick or opaque as you want, try laying down a thin coat of white nail polish first, then two coats of your color!
- After each coat of polish, be sure you get the tips of your nails. This will help seal the nail polish and prevent water or other liquids from getting between the polish and your nails.
- If you get polish on the skin around your nails, use a small brush or cotton swab dipped in polish remover to carefully remove it. If you skip this step, you may find those edges peeling easier when water or lotion gets up under them.
- Allow your colored nail polish to completely dry before applying the top coat. For me, this can take anywhere from 5-15 minutes, depending on the nail polish manufacturer and how thick my layers are.
- Use a quick-dry top coat and be sure to get the tips of your nails on this step too!
- Get a chip or a smudge but don’t want to start over? Add a colored glitter polish to the tips or paint a design over the offending area!
- 2-3 days after your mani, be sure to apply another top coat to keep them sealed and looking shiny!
- Keep your hands moisturized, especially your cuticles, to help keep that dry skin away.
So that is the Not A Size 8 13 Nail Hacks to Save Your Polish!! Got any other tips not mentioned here? Be sure to drop them in the comments below, or give us a shot out on social media!